Permanent Supportive Housing
The Louisiana Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) model combines deeply affordable rental housing with voluntary, flexible and individualized community-based services to assist people with the most severe and complex disabilities to live successfully in the community. PSH is not a new model of housing. Successful efforts to create PSH units in numerous states have been well documented over the years, and a significant body of research has proven that successful outcomes for people and cost savings to government are achieved through the PSH approach.
Louisiana’s PSH goal is truly ambitious and far reaching. Rather than simply creating 3,000 PSH units, Louisiana has set out to create the nation’s first comprehensive PSH system that helps the State achieve several important policy objectives, including:
- Address chronic homelessness
- Reduce the unnecessary institutionalization of people with serious disabilities in nursing homes and other high-cost restrictive settings
- Improve access to developmental, behavioral and physical supports through the collaborative implementation of evidence-based models of housing and services
Magellan Health System’s Role in PSH
Magellan Health System’s contract with the LA-Department of Health & Hospitals was amended (effective October 9, 2013) to include the administration of the PSH program in the Gulf Opportunity (GO) Zone.
The goal for Magellan is to:
Enable the program to become a sustainably funded program by leveraging Medicaid reimbursement for the supportive services and streamlining the housing and supports processing.
Our role in this program will be to take in and screen the PSH applications to ensure applicants qualify for and meet the eligibility requirements of the state’s PSH program.
Permanent Supportive Housing Eligibility is based on a household with the following criteria:
- A person who has a significant, long term disability;
- Is receiving services from the Department of Health and Hospitals or one of its agencies;
- Is in need of housing supports offered by the PSH Program; and
- Meets low-income requirements.
The Magellan PSH team is working with various state agencies, disability groups and organizations to identify people who qualify and benefit from this program and its services. We are assisting the PSH services providers to provide services to participants through review and care management. Additionally, we will be providing tenant services management to assist the landlords in understanding the unique needs of this population.
Magellan accepts PSH applications and is the first step in the application process. Applications are accepted when the waiting lists for the parish are open.
Have questions about PSH? Please contact our Permanent Supportive Housing Team:
- Monday through Friday, 8 AM till 5 PM (Central Time)
- Toll-free at 1-800-424-4461
Obtaining Prior and Continuing Authorizations for Community Based Services
In Coordination with Permanent Supportive Housing
For more information on Louisiana’s vision for Permanent Supportive Housing, visit The Louisiana Housing Corporation.
HUD’s alternate Section 8 options: