Adult 1915(i) State Plan Amendment Eligibility Determination
Independent Assessment / Community-Based Care Management Certification *
Magellan Health in Louisiana is in the process of implementing new requirements and responsibilities for professionals providing eligibility determination assessments to adults seeking Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) under the 1915(i) State Plan Amendment (SPA). The Independent Assessment and Community-Based Care Management (IA/CBCM) process will help to ensure the Louisiana Behavioral Health Partnership aligns with 1915(i) rules issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Among the CMS rules, the independent conflict-free provision stipulates the LMHP conducting the eligibility assessment cannot be a provider (or associated with an organization provider) of adult Home and Community Based Services (HCBS), including adult outpatient mental health therapies.
Important Information on IA/CBCM
The IA/CBCM provider will serve as the independent conflict-free LMHP responsible for conducting all of the following:
- assessing member eligibility and treatment needs
- developing an effective Plan of Care with the active engagement of the member and their supports
- coordinating the overall and ongoing treatment of members seeking the expanded services
* It is important to note prior to the date of any given geographical implementation, LMHPs currently performing eligibility determination assessments to adults seeking 1915(i) services will continue to provide assessments under their current guidelines, qualifications and restrictions
Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths (CANS)
Online Training and Certification* is Now Avaiable!
The Praed Foundation and Magellan of Louisiana have partnered for online training and certification on the CANS Collaborative website! This online training and certification is specifically on the Louisiana version of the CANS Comprehensive Assessment used in the Coordinated System of Care (CSoC). Individuals trained live by Louisiana CANS Trainers will use this system for Certification.
Providers trained and certified in using the CANS assessment tool, can access and use the CANS tools.
* The CANS certification is valid for one year, starting upon certification date, and must be renewed annually. Certified providers for CANS should go to the CANS Training website and recertify before current certification expires.
Accessing the CANS LA Certification Application
- Entering CANS LA certification dates in order to open the CANS LA application for staff entering CANS LA through magellanprovider.com ("mp.com")
- Entering CANS LA re-certification dates for continued access to CANS LA through mp.com
- Viewing CANS LA certification for staff with mp.com accounts to verify status as active/inactive certification
Instructions for accessing the CANS LA Certification Application are available to trained and certified providers.
Certification Courses on Achieve
Providers can achieve certification in variety of treatment areas. Areas of certification include co-occurring disorders, crisis intervention, and suicide/homicide precautions, among others.
Get your certification online on at Achieve, our learning platform. When you register, you will be assigned one of three learning plans:
- Basic OBH Training
- Basic OBH Training & Treatment Planning
- Treatment Planning
Visit this page often for more information.